How to setup WooCommerce Payment Plans?

Featured, WooCommerce
How to setup WooCommerce Payment Plans?

Looking to offer payment plans to products on your WooCommerce store?

Want to automatically charge your customer’s payment method when each installment is due?

In this tutorial, learn how to setup payment plans on your WooCommerce store.

Payment plans will allow your customers to buy now with an initial deposit and pay later!

For example, Sam sells a pair of limited edition shoes for $100. Sam can allow his customers to pay in full or pay a 25% deposit down and pay off the remaining 75% spread out over the next 3 months. If a customer chooses to pay for the limited edition shoes on a payment plan, the customer pays $25 today. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th payments of $25 will all be charged automatically using the customer’s payment token. This will not have to be done manually!

Shop owners can customize the billing interval over days, weeks, months, and years!

Let’s begin!

Step 1

First, download and activate the following plugins:

You will get a .zip file for each plugin. In the next step we will be uploading to your WooCommerce store.

Pro tip: Make sure you are using a payment method that supports automatic recurring payments. This will allow your customer’s billing method run automatically on their next payment date. See the full list of payment gateways that support recurring payments.

Step 2

Next, upload the .zip file for each plugin to your WooCommerce store. Activate the plugins.

Note: for the WooCommerce Payment Plans plugin to work you need to have both WooCommerce Subscriptions and All Products for WooCommerce Subscriptions installed and activated.

Step 3

Find a product on your store that you want to apply a payment plan towards. Edit the product and go down to the Deposits tab.

Step 4

Finally, click add and set the billing length and rate. I choose every month for four months. There will be 4 total payments.


Click save.


You are all set! When customers visit your product page they will be able to choose between paying in full or to pay as a deposit on a payment plan.

Pro tip: Do a test with a real payment method. I call this “following your customer”. Beneficial to understand how this works and seeing how your customer receives orders.

Issues with setting up this plugin? Let us know in the comments.

Leave a reply

Comment policy: We love comments and appreciate the time that readers spend to share ideas and give feedback. However, all comments are manually moderated and those deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*


Why should I not use the WooCommerce Deposits plugin?

A issue with the WooCommerce Deposits plugin is that it does not support automatic recurring payments. For example, the 1st payment goes through as a deposit but the remaining payments DO NOT automatically charge the customer’s payment method on file.

The customer then has to manually go and make the payment. Our method is automated as the remaining payments in the customer’s plan are automatically charged to their payment method (credit card, PayPal, etc.) on their account.

Our method allows the customer to make their initial deposit payment using their payment method. Their 2nd/3rd/4th payments run automatically using their payment method.